Choosing the right packaging tape is the key!
Hot-Melt Tape (Synthetic Rubber)
Generally made with a polypropylene backing for strength, durability and tear resistance. This is often the carton sealing tape of choice due to its low cost, initial quick tack properties and reliable bond in corrugated applications. This tape will yellow with time, but will do so more slowly than solvent based tape. Hot Melt tape is generally the lowest cost option and satisfies a large proportion of all carton-sealing requirements. Many adhesive tape manufactures use the Hot-Melt process because it produces less waste and is more environmentally friendly.
- High initial quick tack properties and superior adhesion to corrugated products
- Performs well in temperatures of 45-120° allowing use in a wide range of environments
- Consistent aggressive bonding can increase productivity in most carton sealing applications
- Reliable industrial carton sealing tape offering reduced packaging costs and reduced down-time
- High tensile strength means it can withstand higher forces before tearing
- Extensively used by major industries for sealing, packing and general strapping applications
- Best used with a carton sealing dispenser for convenient application
Water Based Acrylic Tape
With recent advancements in technology and materials, acrylic carton sealing tape has become increasingly popular and in many cases outperforms hot melt rubber based adhesive tapes. This is a medium priced, excellent all-round general purpose packaging tape and can be used on a wide range of surfaces such as cardboard, metal, glass, wood and many plastics. Its superior temperature resistance, clarity and resistance to yellowing make acrylic tape the favourite choice when appearance is a key consideration, such as in the consumer product and food packaging industries.
- Perfect for extreme temperature applications with thermal stability from 32-140 degrees
- Resistant to ageing, weathering, sunlight and discoloration
- Seal strengthens over time as the acrylic adhesive seeps into the fibres of the box
- Excellent clarity, visual appeal and resistance to yellowing - stays as clear as when it was applied
- Long lasting holding power makes it ideal for cartons that have an extended shelf life
- Excellent ultra violet stability over extended periods of time
- Can be stored and used over long periods
Solvent Based Tape (Natural Rubber)
Quickly forms a strong, lasting bond and is the best choice for carton sealing on inconsistent surfaces and in extreme temperatures of 0-150 degrees, high humidity or dampness. Natural rubber tape is darker than hot melt or acrylic tape and will yellow with age. Due to its high performance characteristics, this is the most expensive pressure sensitive tape available.
- Ideal for a wide variety of applications and surface conditions
- Very aggressive, enhanced adhesion properties for reliable, long term packaging
- Performance properties remain constant even in extreme temperatures
- Ideal for long term sealing but tape will yellow more quickly than hot melt or acrylic tapes
- Especially suited to poor or recycled corrugated applications and cold packaging
- Perfect for heavy duty and export packaging
© Copyright of Davenport Paper Co. Ltd 2010